Friday, May 27, 2011

Chapter Two:

In which we tackle the scenic buttes of the Black Hills and find that the age old saying is true - It is easier to get up than get down!

I have always been of the opinion that hiking in the wilderness, or in fact anywhere with grass, is just one great big tick hunt. The little stinkers seem to sense my aversion to them and come from miles away just to sit on grass next to the trail I am taking. They then hand out prizes to the ticks that can grab ahold of my skirt and make it home with me [shudder!]

The other inhabitants - and by that I mean non-insect inhabitants! - were much more pleasant to observe. Ft. Robinson used to have a major horse breeding operation back in the early 1900's - they provided calvary horses to the army. The horses that still live at the fort are some of the most beautiful I've ever seen.

Elise turned out to be a fabulous hiker - despite the lack of a morning nap...

...Though towards the end poor Yelena was dozing off in the back-pack [smile!]


The view from the top of the buttes was great - if you remained on your feet long enough to enjoy it. The wind was fierce, and we had to keep a tight hold on Elise, or she would have sailed off like a kite!

4 comments:

Anna B. said...

Oh. my. goodness. I completely adore this post! Abby, the pictures of Elise at the end...make me giggle and squeal all at once! I can't wait to wrap that girl in a tight big hug!

Thank you SO much for posting!
Love you ALL!!!! <3 <3 <3

Marjo B said...

Oh...what a fabulous post! And the last few pictures of Elise are ADORABLE!
What a sweet family. :)

The Grady Family said...

Cuteness abounds in bucketfulls. Your all so darling!
Your family

Kristina said...

Oh my goodness!! Adorable child!