Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Farewell, Metrodome

By Caleb:

Most of you may not know this, but I'm a bit of a Minnesota Twins baseball fan since my grandparents have lived in MN for some time and they won the World Series when I was real little (1987/1991). I just follow them fairly casually, although the internet now gets me a little more involved. But I had never been to a game. The Twins are moving a new ballpark next year and wanted to go to a game in the Metrodome before they moved. So finally, at some persuading from my cousin Tim, who lives in Minneapolis, I bought 2 tickets for the second-to-last game of the season, last Saturday (10/3), against the KC Royals.

When I bought the tickets, the Twins were well out of first place so I thought the game would be fairly meaningless for the players. I could not have been more wrong! The Twins kicked into gear and won 16 of their last 20 games and now were only 1 game from first place. Abby and I drove up Saturday morning for the game, spent the night in a hotel, then toured downtown Minneapolis and St Paul in the morning, then went to the Mall of America.

The game (and the whole weekend) turned out to be lots of fun. The Royals pitched Zach Grienke, one of the best pitchers in the league, but the Twins managed to get 4 runs off him. But the Royals came storming back to tie it including a homer by former Husker Alex Gordon. Then in the bottom of the 8th, to the delight of the 48,000 in attendance, the Twins' first basemen hit a homer, and they went on to win 5-4. That place gets incredibly loud, being indoors and all! It was a memory I will never forget. :-)




This is the Minnesota State Capitol in St Paul. A marathon was going on at the time so we couldn't get any closer. It was a great trip for Abby and I, we called it our 2nd anniversary celebration.

No comments: